LastPass Password Manager – What’s all the hype?

Tara Schaufler LastPass PosterHave you heard about LastPass password manager?  I hope so!  It’s now free to students, faculty, and staff. I have to admit that I didn’t use a password manager until I started working in the Information Security Office, but now I’m hooked.  I’m no longer scrambling to find passwords, and my password hygiene has improved.  

We all have a method of managing our passwords.  Perhaps you store passwords in a notebook, an Excel spreadsheet, in a web browser, or you simply reset your passwords a ton of times because you forget them.  The reality is that these methods are not secure. LastPass is built with security in mind. LastPass uses the same encryption algorithm that the U.S. Government uses for top-secret data. This encrypted data is unreadable to LastPass and to everyone else without the Master Password, which you create and set.  Now, if you’re anything like me, you’re probably thinking is this REALLY secure? I’m skeptical of basically everything electronic, so even with the excellent data that supports the security of this product, I’ve chosen to save everything in my vault except the passwords for a few sensitive accounts.  I keep those passwords in my head and in my physical safe at home. But I know plenty of security folks that keep all of their passwords in LastPass, I just have issues. 

All of my issues aside (and I assure you I have many), LastPass has definitely been a game changer for me.  I love having all of my passwords at my fingertips. Benefits I love include:

• I now create better passwords using the built-in password generator. No more thinking up long, strong passwords because LastPass does it for me.
  • I don’t have to remember passwords because LastPass fills in the fields for me.
  • I create secure notes to capture information that I have trouble remembering but need to keep secure (like the PIN # for my Princeton travel card).
  • I’m organized!  My passwords are at my fingertips thanks to the LastPass browser extensions and mobile app for my phone.
  • And it’s free!  LastPass Enterprise is free for faculty and staff to store passwords used for University business, and free LastPass Premium accounts are available to store personal passwords.  The two vaults can be easily linked for convenience. If you leave the University your Enterprise account will go away, but your LastPass Premium account remains for you to use. Students are also eligible for free LastPass Premium accounts.  

Not convinced yet?  Here are some quotes from users on our campus:

“LastPass gives our team the ability to share administrative system information securely and is accessible from anywhere.“

“Using LastPass means all my passwords now will be strong, unique, and available everywhere.  One New Year’s resolution taken care of.”

“LastPass, puts the zip, zap, zoom in password management.”

Interested now?  Go to https://princeton.edu/lastpass to learn more!  You can also join me for one of our upcoming classes at Frist Campus Center on:

• September 27 at 2PM or
  • November 7 at 10AM

Visit the Learn Center to enroll.  I look forward to seeing you!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.